Sunday, September 6, 2009

A long time coming ....

Finally, the rest of my possessions arrived, and last night we unpacked them all. My lovely everyday print dress with the puffy sleeves, my darling hot pink dress with the white crossover neck insert by Erin Kleider, my beautiful red print by Kay deMattei, my special Islecroft bluebird dress and head piece, and my special Halloween outfit. Also included were my white mohair shawl, my blue porcelain teapot, my Asian folding screen, and my lovely jardinière which will require a new plant. These have arrived in the nick of time since my wardrobe has not accumulated for some time. Although I have a photo box that is nicely filled with clothing by Keeper (short for Housekeeper, who is also my seamstress and underling), it's never enough. In fact, I believe I will need to send her out for another box or two shortly. My not having new clothing on a daily basis has been a trial to me ever since she stopped sewing about a month ago. She has not resumed efforts on my behalf since then. *sigh* As you can imagine, it's been quite dreadful.



Fortunately, just when I was at my lowest, the box containing my things from my prior life arrived. I'm grateful in particular that my Halloween outfit has come prior to that holiday event and that I can at last wear something different instead of being forced to re-cycle my other clothing. I'm getting quite weary of always wearing the same old things.

It's also fortunate in that my apartment is closer to its end preparation. It's been under construction for some time, and while I can sleep in it, it's not by any stretch of the imagination ready for full occupancy. Keeper has only this week located a place to hang it from which I can view most of the main house's living areas. The apartment is built in an antique clock case that's being converted, and I have a rooftop garden as well. It is smallish, but suitable, having two floors, one room each, for living and sleeping. Last night, I wrapped up in my lovely white mohair shawl from the box and spent the evening in my garden, enjoying the cooler weather and the full moon.

Keeper periodically shows me a piece of furniture or an accessory for my approval, then removes it if I disapprove and tries again, so my desires are being accommodated. I have a leather chair that I've approved and one table with a teaset. Last week, the large dip in my living room floor was finally filled in and a nice marble floor laid. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my wallpaper and of course for that paperhanger to do her work. I'm also still considering which bed to appropriate as my own, the custom made one from Great Briton with drapery hangings and a drawer beneath the bed (on its way here now), or an antique iron bedstead. It will depend on how each looks when I view them after the paper for the walls has been hung. My first floor chandelier arrived last week, and although it it not yet up, therein lies a semblance of progress. Literally, the chandelier lies atop a case near my apartment, waiting for installation.


I shall post a photo once the apartment is suitably complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment